A new year is often a time of reflection and a time when people resolve to make positive life changes. Joseph Campbell, writer, and orator, delivers a perfect example with his belief in “Follow Your Bliss” – find where it is and don’t be afraid to follow it. While inspiring, it is a huge undertaking, one that overwhelms many people. Goals and resolutions become manageable when they have boundaries.
Boundaries are established through the selection of roles in your life or some see these as categories. It may be the role of spouse, parent, community member or boss. Categories include work, finance, family or health. Select a role or category that you believe can bring you more happiness.
When setting a goal—think big. Do not judge, edit or allow a victim-mentality to interfere. The more clearly you de- fine your goal, the closer you are to establishing a successful path to it. Don’t confuse your goal with the steps involved in achieving it. A common theme among goal achievement theories utilizes three steps: first, describe your current situation; next, visualize your desired situation (goal); finally, deter- mine what steps are necessary to achieve your goal. It sounds simple, 1+2+3= goal. However, this is an over- simplified view of the process.
Writing down a very descriptive picture of your goal may be the most important first step of achievement. A university study had 3% of their graduates write down their goals. Twenty years later, the university’s study revealed the 3% that wrote their goals achieved more wealth than the total wealth of the remaining 97%! In addition, this 3% appeared hap- pier and more content.
Goals and steps to achieve them are of- ten confused. Improving your health by weighing no more than 180 pounds may be a goal. The weight loss resulting from riding your bicycle for at least 15 min- utes a day is a step to achieving the goal. Plan to make 2007 the year you reach your goal. Happy New Year!
Apply Goal Setting Principles to People Management